Bean soup is on the menu in the Senate’s restaurant every day. There are several stories about the origin of that mandate, but none has been corroborated. According to one story, the Senate’s bean soup tradition began early in the 20th-century at the request of Senator Fred Dubois of Idaho. We like his version because it contains mashed potatoes, of course!
- 1 – 16 oz. package Idahoan® REAL Roasted Garlic Flavored Mashed Potatoes, dry (Item #00347) (or half package of 32 oz. Idahoan® REAL Roasted Garlic Flavored Mashed Potatoes, dry [Item #00343])
- 3 lbs dried navy beans
- 2 lbs of ham and a ham bone
- 3 gallons water or stock
- 5 onions, chopped
- 4 cups celery, chopped
- 4 cups carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ a bunch of parsley, chopped
- Clean the beans, cook and drain.
- Add ham, bone and water or stock and bring to a boil.
- Add chopped vegetables and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for one hour.
- Mix in potatoes and continue simmering for a half hour.
- Stir in parsley in the last 5 minutes before serving.
Mix It Up
Substitute other great products for endless flavor combinations!